Whether you’re a bride-to-be with your wedding day on the horizon, or a gal simply looking to improve her routine and skincare IQ, we’ve got you covered. Montage Salon & Spa’s resident esthetician and makeup artist, Kristen Kaven, divulged the following skincare guide to help you get on track.
Here are Kristen’s tips, organized into a timeline to make it easy for you to follow along:
6 Months Out
- Take stock of your regular routine, then make an appointment a skincare expert. If you take just ONE THING from this blog post, let it be this: You need to know your skin type. A licensed esthetician can identify your type and help address other concerns.
- Contrary to popular belief, moisturizer is not a “one-size-fits-all” product. Once you know your specific skin type, getting the right moisturizer is key. There is a wide range, with different weights and bases, so be sure to get an expert recommendation. Again, it’s all about getting what works for your unique skin type!
- Cleanse, exfoliate, moisturize. These 3 steps are the basics to any skincare routine. There are other pieces, like adding a mask if you need to address specific issues, but the basics are most important.
- Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen. Always apply SPF before stepping out of the house. If you’re using a higher-end moisturizer, check to see if it includes sunscreen—not all do.
3 Months Out
- In addition to continuing the above, now is the time to consult your aesthetician to add 1 facial and 2 treatments to your regimen. This will help you really zero-in on any issues you might be facing, including: acne, dehydration/dryness, blotchiness, oil, etc.
- Sit for your makeup trial. This is a particularly fun step; enjoy experimenting with your “day-of look” with your makeup artist.
- Run a wax trial. You might be surprised to learn that not all waxes are the same; it’s important to visit the salon you’ll use for your wedding day to see how your skin reacts to their wax options.
- With your big day rapidly approaching, be sure to take good care of yourself … it shows on your skin! Get plenty of sleep, drink lots of water, and watch your sodium intake.
- Be sure to use proper protection from the sun. Lather on the sunscreen. You don’t want your glow to be hampered by the unmistakable color of sunburn!
- If you were unable to visit your salon for a wax test in recent months, get a patch test done a few days before to ensure your skin agrees with their wax. I recommend you schedule your waxing a few days before your event to avoid any surprises.
- And, the most general rule-of-thumb: Don’t try anything to harsh or different right before your day!
Glowing, healthy skin is within your reach. Call Montage Salon & Spa to schedule your appointment with our skincare experts today!